Stockport Milling Co / Stockport Mill Country Inn
Morgan Co. | Ohio | USA
Watersource: Muskingum River.
Stockport Milling Co / Stockport Mill Country Inn
About 15 miles south of McConnellsville, Ohio on Sh 376 along the Muskingum River just west of the junction with Sh 266 at Stockport, Ohio.
The picture from January 1980 shows part of the Muskingum River fowing through the basement level to operate the turbines. The first mill, built in 1842 by Samuel & William Beswick, burned in 1849 and the second mill, built in 1849, by Wlliam McCaslin, burned on July 1, 1903. The mill was sold by McCaslin after a few years of operation to Seaman & Thomas. Thomas also ran a store on connection to the mill.
Taggert had the mill from John E. Thomas in 1854; Pierrot & Glenn operated the mill after 1865; Pierrot & Jesse Lane in 1870; Pierrot & Lane sold to Bill Phillips; and in 1896 B.G. Schob owned the mill and did so when it burned on July 1, 1903.
The new mill in 1908, powered by two Leffel turbines for grinding grain, began a new contract of supplying the town of Stockport with street light electricity, doing so until April 1928. Fred James, a lad of 14 when he worked for the Dovers, bought the mill along with Ray Devitt in 1942 for 4,000 dollars.
The Farm Bureau of the Landmark Co. owned and operated the mill from 1944 to 1979, with Dow Kasler as mill manager, until the Landmark lease dissolved. The mill was next purchased by Robert & Jack Grove and children; who for twenty years, ran a successful custom milling business with local farmers and Amish farmers of Marion Township.
The channel under the mill, whereby water from the Muskingum River flows through the turbine pit shown here.
Pictured is a Eureka Dustless Receiving Separator, manufactured in Silver Creek, New York by the S. Howes Co.
This is a view of the Receiving Separator end-on from the right of the above photo.
A somewhat limited view of a Moniter Cracked Corn Separator, Manufactured by the Moniter Manufacturing Co, Silver Creek , New York.
Another view of the Moniter Dustless Cracked Corn Separator.
The Warner Elevator, manufactured by the Warner Manufacturing Co., Cincinatti, Ohio.
An 1920 photograph of the Stockport Milling Co., featuring Flour & Feeds. More than likely, it was operated at this time by the Dover's son-in-law, Robert Durbin; the mill itself being owned by the Dover Bros. or their hiers. Grain that was ground to flour was sold under the Gold Bond pastry and bread flour label, Seal of Ohio, or Pride of the Valley labels. Feed for livestock was also produced during this time.
A photo of the mill when operating as Landmark Mills as part of Farm Bureau management, sometime between 1944 and 1979, or perhaps later.
The mill has a banner across the end between the 2nd & 3rd floors windows declaring: Stockport Canoeing and Watersports-open. Not sure if the business was located in the mill, or the mill was justed being used for the advertisement banner.
The present mill, built in 1907 by the Dover Bros. of hand-hewn beams, has withstood conditions that destroyed many of the other mills in the 1913 flood of the Muskingum.
The view from the dining room looking out over the river below the dam, downstream of the mill.
Brightly painted Leffel turbine out front on the edge of the parking lot.
The new sign attracting customers to the Country Inn. The renovation has enabled the river to power computerized turbines, delivered from Michigan in 2002, to provide electricity to the Stockport Mill Inn complex.
The equipment was sold at public auction in 1997; and in 1998, the new owners, Randy & Laura Smith, began a massive renovation which in two years yielded the 14 guest-room Stockport Mill Country Inn and restaurant. Part of the mill today is devoted for use as a museum and tourist attraction.