- Standard View
The original mill was thought to have have been owned by William Jennings in 1793, then bought by Benjamin Hagood in 1823. The present mill on Hagood Branch (formerly known as Jennings Creek), a tributary of the North Fork of Twelvemile Creek, was built by Benjamin's son, James, about 1845.
John Hagood inherited the mill in 1865, and in turn,passed it on to Esther Benson Hagood in 1879. Another James Hagood was next in line in 1891; then eventually in 1958, J. Hagood Bruce became to owner.
The dam is 1650' upstream, water is pummped into an earthen headrace, the last 80' utilizing a wooden flume. The 20' diameter wooden waterwheel has an 18' ring gear, is 4' wide and develops 22 HP. Restoration began in the 1970's and continued through the 1980's into the 1990's. Two granite millstones weigh about 3/4 ton apiece.
The end of the wooden flume as it pours the water of Hagood Branch of the North Fork of Twelve Mile Creek over the 20' diameter wooden water wheel.
Hagood Mill has long been a gathering place for farmers and other locals to "catch up" on community new, politics, weather, the season's crops, and other items of interest. It has also been an important cog in the molding of and the holding of a community together.
Grinding for area farmers discontinued in 1966 and the mill was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1972. The mill and it's associated land area was donated to the Pickens County Museums in 1973 by the James Hagood Bruce family.
A view of the top of the waterwheel at Hagood's Mill.GPS: 34' 55.59'N, 82' 43.30'W ele. 991'/302 meters Pickens Quadrangle
A smutter, one of the earliest grain cleaning machines designed to clean smut, a grain fungus, from the grain prior to grinding into flour. The Wheat "berry" is bounced off a sceen inside the machine to knock off the beard and smut.
Looking down on the stone set for grinding grain in Hagood's Mill.
On the elevated platform of the run nof stones with theww grind stone crane immediately to the left of the stone set.
The same stone set from below and to the right showing the run of stones encased and the flour box below to castch the flour that is coming off between the stone, makes its way to the outside, and pours into the box.
A difeferent type of grinder, grinds vertically corn into cornmeal.
A Clipper Cleaner manufactured by A.T. Ferrell & Co. of Saginaw, Michigan.
Over 60 Pickens Co. mills have been located, documented and mapped by local historian and miller, Alan Warner. Regulations passed by the Government in the 1960's required that farmers grain and corn be tested before being ground. Also nutrients and preservatives were required to be added. These restrictions effectively closed down the local county mills. South Carolina, in the 1970's, exemped the states mills from this requirement. Warner has helped restore this mill and was the miller from 1996-2009. This memorial row of millstones are primarily all that is left of the mills they came from in Pickens County.
View Larger Map