- Standard View
Taylor & Shaw Grist mill is shown on an 1884 historic map of Bristol The first grist mill on this site may have been built c 1858 by Calvin D. Cass.
In 1860 he rebuilt and enlarged it; then in 1865, he sold one half of the business to Wells Forbes.
Forbes later purchased Cass' other half and became the sole owner. In 1867 Forbes sold the business to George T. Crawford.
Crawford and Reuben B. Locke commenced business under the name of Crawford & Locke. They increased the capacity of the mill and had 3 run of stone for the manufacture of flour and for custom grinding.
They continued tin business until 1872/ 73, when Cyrus Taylor succeeded Mr. Locke. A few months later Person C. Shaw succeeded Crawford and the firm became Taylor, Shaw, & Co.
They discontinued making flour but did a large business in corn. In July, 1884, Clarence N. Merrill, an employee of the mill, bought Mr. Shaw's interest, and the firm became Taylor & Merrill.
In 1896, Mr. Taylor retired and Merrill became the sole owner. Old Mill Fudge Factory today--don't know where the 1767 date comes from!GPS: 43'35.457N, 71'44.146W ele 459'/140 meters Bristol Quadrangle