• Standard View


Rome Mill
Lancaster Co. | Pennsylvania | USA | pre 1785 mill, this mill 1885
Township: Warwick Twp. | Watersource: Lititz Run at mouth of Huber Run.



Rome Mill
Picture: Robert T. Kinsey 11/18/2008

A hemp and an oil mill were in operation at this site from pre 1785 through the first decade, at least of the 1800's, owned and operated by Christian & Susanna Hess. The mill was also used for grist, corn meal, and as a distillery upon occasion.

Rome Mill
Picture: Jim Miller 06/23/2007

The owner was Yeager in 1824, Samuel Eby in 1830, and Samuel Eby Jr. in the 1840's. In the 1850's & 1860's, the mill was owned by Jonas Hess & then Anna Hess, Susanna Frank in 1864, and J. H. Hess in 1899.

Rome Mill
Picture: Robert T. Kinsey 11/18/2008

In 1884, the stone mill was consumed by fire; but it was rebuilt with the first story stone foundation used for a 2.5 story frame mill structure above. David Huber later operated the mill, as did his son, John Huber after him.

Rome Mill
Picture: Robert T. Kinsey 11/18/2008

The mill had a negligable headrace from a 4'dam, with a 30' tailrace. One turbine was employed to produce 10 barrels/day of flour. The dam on Lititz Run, behind the mill.

Rome Mill
Picture: Robert T. Kinsey 11/18/2008

The mill was vacant, only in passable condition in 1969, but by 1994, the mill was used as an office and for storage by contractor. In the late 2000's, broken window had been repaired as had siding and everything was in tip-top shaped, well done.

"...the Lord does not see as man sees; for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart."
(1 Samuel 16:7b NKJV)
Directions: At the east end of Lititz, turn left just past Oak St. off of E. Main St./Pa 772 onto Lititz Run Road. The mill is at the first corner, 0.2 mile off Pa 772.
 
Upload Pictures
I want to upload picture(s) at this time.