• Standard View


Keyser's Mill
Montgomery Co. | Pennsylvania | USA | 1831, 1849, restored 1985-6.
Township: Lower Providence Twp. | Watersource: Skippack Cr.


Keyser's Mill
Picture: Jim Miller 04/1983

Mill prior to 1985-6 renovation by the state parks. The 3 story stone stuccoed mill was derelict in April 1983 when this picture was shot. Built as a grist and plaster mill with an English style arcitecture. Located in Evansburg State Park.

Keyser's Mill
Picture: Jim Miller 06/22/2007

After the 1985-6 renovation, State park activities and programs were, and still are, held here. Not known if plans are for full working restoration.

Keyser's Mill
Picture: Jim Miller 06/22/2007

In 1800, the property was sold to Henry Gotwals by a party described as a miller. The mill was purchased again in 1887 by N. B. Keyser, who gave the mill the name that stayed with it to the present. The outlet arch is pictured on the southwest side towards the old 8-arch, stone bridge

Keyser's Mill
Picture: Jim Miller 06/22/2007

The mill from the Skippack Creek side. The milling machinery and two breast wheels are no longer present.

Keyser's Mill
Picture: Jim Miller 06/22/2007

The 2.5 story stone/stuccoed mill measures about 35'x45'. The inlet arch is seen in the picture with a view towards the road and the miller's house across on the small rise.

Keyser's Mill
Picture: Jim Miller 06/22/2007

This eight-arch stone bridge, on US 422/Germantown Pike, was built in 1792, cost $1300.00 new, and is on the National Record of Historic Places. The bridge is next to Skippack Creek Rd., which turns off of Germantown Pike and leads to the mill several hundred yards away.

Keyser's Mill
Picture: Jim Miller 06/22/2007

Miller's house across Skippack Creek Road from the mill. The miller's house is also built in the English Gothic style.

Keyser's Mill
Picture: Jim Miller 06/22/2207

The barn located on the mill farm property. The German bank barn, probably dating from the mid-1800's, appears well cared for.

Keyser's Mill
Picture: Jim Miller 06/22/2007

Lateral view from the southwest of the made-over mill. Grain and flour were milled here for over a 100 years before closure midway through the 20th. century.

"When the fullness of time had come, God sent forth His son, born of a woman, born under the law."
(Galations 4:4 NKJV)
Directions: On U.S.422 (Germantown Pike) north of Eagleville, turn right onto Skippack Creek Rd. just past 8-arch stone bridge of 1792. Mill is several hundred yds. down the road, off to the right.
 
Upload Pictures
I want to upload picture(s) at this time.