- Standard View
Actually built around 1717-18 and began operation as a sawmill & grist mill by John Dyer in 1722; it burned in 1772.
It was rebuilt as a grist mill that saw service during the Revolutionary War by supplying George Washington's troops with supplies while fighting went on in New York and upper New Jersey areas.
It was converted to an inn in the early 1900's and has been known as The Water wheel Inn, The Pear and Partridge Inn, The Inn of the Sorrel Horse, and is now known by another name.
In September 1999, Hurricane Floyd caused considerable damage to the wheel pit as the complete basement was flooded, including some portions of the dining rooms in the at that time, Inn of the Sorrel Horse.
The second picture was taken the day after the hurricane and many area homes were pumping water out of their basements.
Today, in 2009, it is The Waterwheel Restaurant.