- Standard View
The 40'X 50'stone/stucco mill was built to 3.5 stories in 1857-58, after the 36'X 44' earlier log mill was torn down by Jacob Christman. Milling was apparently in the Christman blood, as all three of Jacob's sons and his brother, Jonas became millers in Lehigh & Berks Cos.
The former log 'Buzzard's Mill' was on the site in 1801, when the log mill, log cabin & property were purchased from Peter Keyser & wife by Philip Christman. He then sold the whole parcel to his son, Henry, in 1805. Twenty-five years later, Jacob Christman bought the same from his father, Henry.
Before any major restoration began>
James Christman became miller upon his father's death and later, his son, Calvin J. Christman, the fifth generation of Christmans became the owner/operator. The mill was the property of Dr. Nicholas Prusack in 1990and probably to the current time.
Using the headwaters of the Perkiomen Creek for power, the old mill was slowly deteriorating in the early 1990's, and was being slowly stablized, if not completely restored in 1989.
Mill repairs are underway.
Repairs to mill are underway. This is on the east facing side.
It looks like the restoration was a little while in coming, from perhaps in 1989 to definitely in 2013.
Mill undergoing extensive renovations begun in 2012. Renovations to include cleaning out the wheel room, restoring the foundation, stabilizing the roof, replacing all windows.
Stabilizing the roof.
The miller's house was being destuccoed at the time of the visit, it being first because of a scarcity of funds.