- Standard View
The mill and storage silos were built in 1900-02 by John F. Kroutil and operated by him and the Dobry family until the 1930's, when the Dobry's moved across E. Main St. and started their own milling enterprise. The earlier association had come about as a result of a Dobry marrying John Kroutil's sister. The advertisement on the mill champions Yukon's Best Flour. A fire early on in its operation destroyed a lot of the original mill structure; but, the mill was rebuilt and continued to operate, the fire being a chance to upscale and incorporate new methods and to correct original engineering glitches. The framework on the roof of the mill is comprised of individual bulbs that light to spell out Yukon's Best Flour at night.
Southwest face of the silo/mill complex at Yukon Mill & Grain Co., in Yukon, Ok. on E. Main Sr. and S. 3rd St. at the Chicago, Rock Island, and Pacific Railroad crossing.
A brick mill building that was the offices and scale house of the Yukon Mill and Grain Co. It has now been renovated to house offices of the Youth and Family Services for Yukon, Oklahoma. The mill was bought by the Shawnee Milling Company of Shawnee, Oklahoma in the 1970's and between then and 2004, was sold to MFC CO-OP and is now used as a warehouse for the MFC CO-OP across Historic Route 66.
It is a very good representation of a mill/elevator combination using modernistic design in the architecture. UPDATE: **Jerry Freeland 04/13/05 -- Mr. Freeland lives in John Kroutil's 1917 house overlooking the mill and provided info. about John Kroutil's and the Dobry's involvement with the Yukon/Kroutil Mill.**