- Standard View
The Whited Mill in Elk City, Oklahoma, operated from 1903 thru 1944. The small 15'X 35' one story weathered, frame structure has an external 12'X 2' wooden waterwheel on it's eastern exposure.
The mill was originally at 306 E.7th St. near S. Monroe Ave. on a tributary to Elk Creek.
The mill was officially placed on the National Register of Historic Places on January 1, 1976.
The mill was moved in 1985 to it's present location near W. 3rd St. and Pioneer Rd. in the Route 66/Old Town Museum near the city's Ackley Park.
It's operational status is unknown since it was closed at the time of visit. Considering it's placement in a museum complex, it probably has some equipment remaining but cannot operate using the outside wheel, since no water flow is directed to any part of the wheel. Photos: **October 2004 Jim Miller**