- Standard View
A 3.5 story stone/stucco mill of 40 X 50 foot dimensions. In 1989, the building contained two sets of stones, although no other machinery was intact.
The sign on the front of the mill denoting when milling was established at this site in a mill built by Thomas Jerman in 1710. The present stone structure was built later in 1859 by Joseph Jeanes to replace an earlier mill. One of the earlier mills was frequented by Washington's staff during the terrible winter at Valley Forge, located a few miles away.
The inlet for water into the mill is on the left rear of the mill and of the picture. The race comes under the present road from the dam controlled by locks. This raceway and dam situation is reminiscent of the mill in Bucks County, the Myers/Stover Mill Pa-09-01-01.GPS: 40D 3.96'N, 75D 29.40'W ele 187'/57 meters Valley Forge Quadrangle
View Larger Map