- Standard View
The small 1.5 story frame mill was built from 1976-1978 by the late Spoom member, Bill Cameron in memory of his wife Letha, on the foundations of the original Turnback Mill of 1840.
View of the Turnback Mill from the Turnback Creek bridge on US 96.
The property is fenced now, as Mr. Cameron died a few years ago and the mill is quite the worse for wear and little maintenance. This monument to Mrs. Cameron placed by Bill Cameron to commemorate his wife's life and passing. A millstone and some mill gearing behind. Best photo opportunity: AM.
Inside View, Fall 2015
*Update: View of the new water wheel at the Britain Mill installed in late 2005. Since being rehabed in 2005, processing is limited to corn meal and grits. 12/26/05 Clyde Beal*
The mill in September 2004. *UPDATE: The new owner Clyde Beal, lives next door to the mill property. He reported in early September that new flooring and windows had been installed in the office to the right side in photo; that a new roof was put on in June 2004. Inside a lineshaft with pulleys is in place and an electrical Meadows mill is operational. Also an elevator feeding a sifter for corn meal and grits was installed. Operation via water power is still hoped & planned for in the future. Clyde Beal* Check out the website above for the Turnback/Britain Mill.
*Update: This mill has been painted for the first time, ever, this year. In addition, most of the surrounding trees have been removed in April by the local power company. Clyde Beal 05/05/2009*