- Standard View
This mill was built in 1907-08 by C. A. S. Hopkins to house the Hopkins Candy Factory, a firm that was established in 1900.
Hand-dipped chocolates were one of several types of candies produced here until 1916.
By 1917, the Candy Factory closed and the building was adapted for the Manassas Feed and Milling Co. The mill was later sold to the Southern States Manassas Cooperative in the 1930's.
In June of 1980, Southern States sold the building to Canton & Mae Merchant to be used as a tire warehouse. The Merchant family donated the building to the city of Manassas in 1998.
It was restored in 2001 and since has housed the Center for the Arts of Greater Manassas.The upper words on the brick endwall say: USE WHITE ROSE FLOUR. The lower lettering is: SOUTHERN STATES MANASSAS COOPERATIVE.