• Standard View


Kline's Mill
Frederick Co. | Virginia | USA | 1775 as flax mill, 1795 as grist mill
Township: Opequon Supervisory District. | Watersource: West Run of Crooked Run.


Kline's Mill
Picture: Robert T. Kinsey 04/28/2009

The mill was built in 1775 as a flax mill. This was done by pressing the oil out of the flax seeds, the resultant pressed cake a good source of nourishment for livestock.

Kline's Mill
Picture: Robert T. Kinsey 04/28/2009

Flour milling was also done from the beginning by Jacob Kline, even more, when the market fell out of flax oil. Jacob neede to provide for his wife and 12 children.

Kline's Mill
Picture: A 1908 old postcard of Klin'e Mill, Vaucluse, VA., built in 1794.

The German family came from Pennsylvania in 1735. The name was spelled: Clyne, Cline, Klein, Klyne, and later spelled Kline. In 1764 several families erected a large flax-seed oil mill where the Klin'e's Mill stands today. After 20 years the flax-seed oil mill was abandoned, and they built an enlarged flour mill using the Oliver Evans automated flour milling system.Bricks and pottery was made on the farm as well. "Kline's Mill" was built on the existing mill race of the previous mill was built in 1794 by Jacob Kline, whose son Anthony, born July 12, 1777, did a great deal of the work and made most of the machinery in it. Inside of the mill is still located the old flax-seed oil stamping mills, two pairs of millstones along with wooden cog driven grain cleaners, blotter, hopper-boy, and a flour barrel packer. The mill was last operated by the Kline Brothers, and in 1970 Charles Paul of the Campbell Water Wheel Company, of Philadelphia, (owned by John Blake Campbell 1890-1987), wrote up a 2 page manuscript on building a new water wheel for the mill.T. R. Hazen

Kline's Mill
Picture: Robert T. Kinsey 04/28/2009

Jacob and his son, Anthony, converted the mill into an "Oliver Evans automated mill" begining about 1795-97. Anthony added two stories to provide for the additional area needed for the Evans System.

Kline's Mill
Picture: Robert T. Kinsey 04/28/2009

The building on the opposite side of the road from the mill is probably a drive through corn crib. The mill was powered by the West Run of Crooked Run, a tributary of the Shenandoah River.

Kline's Mill
Picture: Robert T. Kinsey 04/28/2009

The mill is a four story stone & log structure may be the finest example of an Oliver Evans conversion in the United States.

Kline's Mill
Picture: Robert T. Kinsey 04/28/2009

Anthony built the house on the hill overlooking the mill in 1820, a few years after inheriting the mill and 50 acres from Jacob.

Kline's Mill
Picture: Robert T. Kinsey 04/28/2009

The mill was for sale when these pictures were taken iin 2009. It deserves to be restored and preserved as a living history museum of milling.

Kline's Mill
Picture: Robert T. Kinsey 04/28/2009

The wooden addition in the front right was probably the post officeand maybe part of the store that was also part of the mill at various times. Ther mill still operated into the 1950's and stayed in the family until 1968.

Kline's Mill
Picture: Robert T. Kinsey 04/28/2009

Klines Mill is a dinosauer of mills, in that it still used grind stones to grind flour, never haveing roller mills installed. Flour from the mill was exported to other countries.

Kline's Mill
Picture: Robert T. Kinsey 04/28/2009

The two story log shed on the left from the road may have been for sotrage of flour, wheat, and corn, but may have also been an up & down or circular saw mill. GPS: 39' 2.84'N, 78' 14.41'W Ele. 676'/206 meters Winchester Quadrangle

Directions: Located south of Stephens City on US 11. Go a short distance to Va 735/Salem Church Road on the left. Turn onto Va 735 and go to the first road on the right/Ridings Mill Road. Turn right and go about 1 mile to the mill on the right.


View Larger Map
 
Upload Pictures
I want to upload picture(s) at this time.