• Standard View


Mill Dale Mill / Miller's Millhouse / Hunnicut Mill
Jefferson Co. | Tennessee | USA | c. 1843
Township: u/k | Watersource: Cheney Creek, a tributary of Dumplin Creek.


Mill Dale Mill / Miller's Millhouse / Hunnicut Mill
Picture: Robert T. Kinsey 09/10/2010

In 1857, Thomas Washington Fain and Nancy Ernst Fain established Mill Dale Farm on 541 acres . Thomas also owned and operated a water mill which was the center of the Community.

Mill Dale Mill / Miller's Millhouse / Hunnicut Mill
Picture: Robert T. Kinsey 09/10/2010

The mill, which was established in 1843, was apparently part of a parcel of 200 acres of the farm, that in 1878, Thomas deeded to his daughter Sarah and her husband Nathan Hood Franklin.

Mill Dale Mill / Miller's Millhouse / Hunnicut Mill
Picture: Robert T. Kinsey 09/10/2010

Nathan operated the grist mill, making flour, meal and feed. He also operated, with his two brothers, a creamery, blacksmith shop, sawmill, tannery, and general store.

Mill Dale Mill / Miller's Millhouse / Hunnicut Mill
Picture: Robert T. Kinsey 09/10/2010

In 1916, Robert Best Franklin inherited 152 acres from his parents. Robert's Son, Hood Franklin inherited 200 acres in 1954.

Mill Dale Mill / Miller's Millhouse / Hunnicut Mill
Picture: Robert T. Kinsey 09/10/2010

In 1976, Hood Franklin and his son, Nathan, worked the farm. The water mill house, which dates to 1843, was used for storage.

Mill Dale Mill / Miller's Millhouse / Hunnicut Mill
Picture: Robert T. Kinsey 09/10/2010

In 2010 the mill has had a new face lift. It looks like it may be used as a B&B

Mill Dale Mill / Miller's Millhouse / Hunnicut Mill
Picture: Robert T. Kinsey 09/10/2010

The white sign on the lower middle of the millhouse reads: "Parents, to protect your child from injury, Please supervise closely".

It is mine, mine; blessed be His name-- Mine for all eternity! "It Is Mine" by Elisha A. Hoffman 1839-1929
(From the Nazarene hymnal - Sing to the Lord)
Directions: From the town of Dandridge, go north on SR 92 about 3.5 miles. The mill can be seen on the east side of SR 92. Look for the road, Old Rt. 92. This is the road to take to get to the mill. The mill sits between SR 92 and Old Rd. 92.
 
Upload Pictures
I want to upload picture(s) at this time.