- Standard View
The 2.5/3.5 fieldstone mill on the east bank of Swamp Creek about 3 miles upstream of it's confluence with the Perkiomen Creek, has been undergoing restoration for at least fifteen years.
This is the tailrace for the saw mill section, the water of which was then channeled back into Swamp Creek partway downstream toward the 3 arch fieldstone bridge, built in 1845, that crosses Swamp Creek just downstream from the mill.
Very near, to the right of this photo, is the inlet from Swamp Creek leading into the mill to power both the grist and the saw mills.
The 1845 three arch stone bridge over Swamp Cr. in the Sunrise Mill Complex.
A fourth arch actually carried the tail race under the arched stone bridge through a smaller arch, in the photo, on Swamp Creek.
The millrace from the dam to the mill (headrace) was built at one time by Michael Krause and his stepson, Yost Bitting.
The dam on Swamp Cr. is right next to the mill.
The 3.5 story stone/brick five bay miller's house and accompaning stone /frame Penna. Dutch bank barn were built in 1795. These also are being restored as part of the mill complex.
Detail of the wooden pinned corner juncture fo the window frame.
The 35'x65' grist and saw mill should soon be open to the public as a fully operational mill for demonstrational and educational purposes.
The arched outlet for spent water from the mill is just below the 3 doors under the dormer sack lift.