• Standard View


Clover Hill Mill
Blount Co. | Tennessee | USA | Original mill 1849, this c. 1921
Township: u/k | Watersource: Headwater stream of Baker Creek.


Clover Hill Mill
Picture: Robert T. Kinsey 09/09/2010

The present Clover Hill Mill, a 2.5 story structure with metal, gable roof, some metal siding and some clapboard has a concrete foundation erected in 1921 after the previous mill from 1849 burned.

Clover Hill Mill
Picture: Robert T. Kinsey 09/09/2010

Formax Feeds sign on the left side corner of the mill just off the front facade. Distiller and miller, David McKamey, built the 1849 mill in the community named after "clover fields" established by Ebijah Conger in 1823.

Clover Hill Mill
Picture: Robert T. Kinsey 09/09/2010

A row of at least four Monarch Roller Mills used to gring grain into flour. In 1887, the mill was owned and operated by two millers named Martin and West. At the time of the fire in 1921, the mill was owned by Gilbert Blankenship. He built the new mill, powered by electricity, abandoning the old overshot wheel for power.

Clover Hill Mill
Picture: Robert T. Kinsey 09/09/2010

A front view of the bank of roller mills. The community of Clover Hill was established in 1820. The comminity boasted a post office, school, church, distillery, general store, and of course the mill in 1860.

Clover Hill Mill
Picture: Robert T. Kinsey 09/09/2010

The community shifted north in 1906 to become Binfield when the railroad came through that area instead of Clover Hill. An Allis Roller Mill, manufactured by Allis Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

Clover Hill Mill
Picture: Robert T. Kinsey 09/09/2010

A jumbled maze of flour and grain chutes.

Clover Hill Mill
Picture: Robert T. Kinsey 09/09/2010

An occilating flour sifter. Two brothers, Russell & Roy Perhins, later operated the mill and eventually sold to Oscar Whitehead in 1958.

Clover Hill Mill
Picture: Robert T. Kinsey 09/09/2010

A lineshaft with pulleys and belts.

Clover Hill Mill
Picture: Robert T. Kinsey 09/09/2010

The wooden framed machine is a double-decker flour dresser.

Clover Hill Mill
Picture: Robert T. Kinsey 09/09/2010

A flour packer used to pack flour into usually paper sacks of 5-25lbs weight.

Clover Hill Mill
Picture: Robert T. Kinsey 09/09/2010

The back side of the mill showing the concrete suppports for the old overshot waterwheel from the 1849 mill. A frame storage shed, c. 1960, four metal grain bin/silos from 1969-75, and a scale complete the mill complex.

Clover Hill Mill
Picture: Robert T. Kinsey 09/09/2010

The direct front of the mill and some grain bins. Gilbert Whitehead's sons took over operations from their father in 1978. One-story wings are attached to the east and west ends of the structure, which were traditionally used as office space and storage space. The interior of the building retains much of the original mill machinery.

"Man of Sorrows" -- what a name For the sSon of God, who came Ruined sinners to reclaim, Hallelujah! What a Savior! "Hallelujah! What A Savior" by Philip P. Bliss
(From the Nazarene hymnal - Sing to the Lord)
Directions: The millis located at the intersection of Clover Hill Mill Road and Clover Hill Road, about halfway between the latter's junction with U.S. Route 411 to the south and Morganton Road to the north in Maryville, Tennessee.
 
Upload Pictures
I want to upload picture(s) at this time.