• Standard View


Gambrill's Mill / Araby Mill
Frederick Co. | Maryland | USA | 1830
Township: Urbana District #7 | Watersource: Brush Creek.



Gambrill's Mill / Araby Mill
Picture: Robert T. Kinsey 01/23/2010

Built in 1830 on land originally owned by James Marshall. The mill was sold in 1855 to James H. Gambrill.

Gambrill's Mill / Araby Mill
Picture: Robert T. Kinsey 01/23/2010

Ganbrill owned and operated the mill through the Civil War and on into the 1890's, making quite a success of the operation, as is evidenced in the beauty and granduer of his adjacent home "Edgewood".

Gambrill's Mill / Araby Mill
Picture: Robert t. Kinsey 01/23/2010

The mill, powered by Brush Creek - a tributary to the Monocacy River, was a three story and half merchant flour mill, operating with two runs of buhrstones turned by an overshot wheel, probably located internally.

Gambrill's Mill / Araby Mill
Picture: Robert T. Kinsey 01/23/2010

The concern included a sawmill, a chopping/plaster mill & the miller's 1.5 story home.

Gambrill's Mill / Araby Mill
Picture: Robert T. Kinsey 01/23/2010

A cooperage was also a part of the mills buildings, providing barrels for the transporting of the flour. Three mill hands worked the flour mill, which produced about 60 barrels/day. A barrel contained 196 lbs. of flour.

Gambrill's Mill / Araby Mill
Picture: Robert T. Kinsey 01/23/2010

A trace of the tailrace still exists today, although a story & a half were taken down in the 1920's when the mill was converted to a dwelling.

Gambrill's Mill / Araby Mill
Picture: Robert T. Kinsey 01/23/2010

Today the mill, which served as a field hospital during the War Between the States, serves as offices for National Park Service staff, as the mill is located within the Monocacy Battlefield grounds.

Directions: This mill is located at 4801 Urbana Pike/Sh 355 off Araby Court E. The mill sits back off the east side of the road about one mile south of the city of Frederick.
 
Upload Pictures
I want to upload picture(s) at this time.