- Standard View
In 1739, James Spencer aquired the land grant Shoe Spring from the fifth Lord Baltimore, Charles Calvert, and in 1744, James Wardrope petitioned the fifth Lord Baltimore for the land grant Pleasant Hill. Both tracts, due to an error, overlapped each other and the location of the current Doub's Mill is in the overlapped area, so that both tracts of land contained the mill land.
1991-2010 Perini, Luigi L. and Mary Jane. John Stull Sr. aquired both tracts and in 1749 the lands ware bequeathed to John Stull Jr. along with a mill. John Stull Jr. sold the mill land, in 1772, to Michael Cyster. Three years later, Cyster sold the lands to brothers, Henry & Christian Newcomer, Swiss-German Mennonites arrived from Pennsylvania. The land was divided in 1795, via John Ingram, with Henry receiving the mill portion.
The Simonson Springhouse, located across the creek from the mill on the other farm property.
The headrace and inlet arch of the mill. In 1795, Henry's probated will left the mill to his son, Christian Newcomer. Conjecture has it that this was the same "old mill" that John Stull Sr. left to his son in 1749. The mill was sold in 1807, twelve years later, to Samuel Funk. It was Samuels son, John, who built the new stone mill between 1811 and 1821.
Some time between 1811 and 1821, the old mill collapsed. The life span of a wooen structure, especially mills, is approximately 50 years, which would favorably correspond to the 1749 millowned by John Stull Sr. The current stone mill was built in six months by members of the Mennonite faith.
The overflow for the mill headrace. In 1821, the stone mill was sold to John Doub Sr. After John's death, one of his sons, Philip R. Doub, aquired the mill from the estate, in 1857.
The north side of the headrace at the overflow. Numerous changes occurred in the mill under Philip R. Doub's ownership. Water turbines replaced the two overshot wheels and the steel roller system for grinding flour was added.
The inlet arch receiving the headrace waters. In 1892, the mill was sold to William Rhodes after 71 years of Doub ownership. Six years later, brothers Frank & Louis Doub, sons of Philip, regained ownership of the mill. Frank became the sole owner in 1920 after Louis' death.
Rear entry to the millrace/wheel pit/turbine pit that runs inside of the mill. During Frank's ownership, the mill also functioned as a post office, a gas station, and a country store. v In the mid 1940's, Frank ceased operation of the mill; and in 1948, the mill was purchased by Leon K. and Victorine M. Morgan for use as an auction house. It was at this time, that all the metal mill mechanisms were sold.
A close-up of the rear access archway to the interior millrace. After 20 years, in 1968, the mill was agin sold to new owners, John H. Shaffer and Joan Van Vleck. They started a program of adaptive reuse of the building as a dwelling. A sturdy new roof was added, the windows replaced, and pointing from the stonework removed.
The southwest side of the mill with the millrace outlet arch visible on the lower left. The shaffers gave up their daunting task in 1976, and attorney, Steve Whilden, took over, no doubt to continue the process. It turned out he sat on the mill for three years, during which time, much vandalism was inflicted on the old mill, to the point where the building was being considered for condemnation by the county.
The actual outfall of water from the millrace/mill to return to Beaver Creek. In 1978, Luigi L. & Louise M. Perini became aware of the mills plight. After a year of battling county ordinance problems(the crucial ordinance regarding flood plain structures was deleted)and septic problems(Mr Miller, the owner of ajacent land, supplied land for a drain field), the Perinis purchased the mill from Whilden.
The well & septic systems were installed and after a years effort, an occupancy permit was obtained for the first floor in 1981. The interior was completed in 1983 with the relaying of old floorboards. The exterior work was finished with the repointing of the stone walls. In 1988, the mill was on the "Cumberland Valley House Tour" sponsored by the Smithsonian Institute. The Boonesboro Historic Society, as well as two busloads of Mennonites, toured the mill, also in 1988. The mill received the Maryland State Historic Society's Calvert Prize, awarded for an historic Preservation project in 1988. On May 6, 1989, over 1000 visitors toured the mill as part of the 57th Annual Maryland State House & Garden Pilgrimage. It was included in Patricia Schooley's book of historical homes in Washington Co. in 2002. Also featured in the Building Character Series of HGTV in Feb. 2003.
An old vintage photo, circa 1900, of the mill, creek, and old miller's house/Bauer house. Mr. & Mrs. Perini bought the Tenant house, across Beaver Creek Road from the mill, in 1989. They also own the mill structure and the Cooper Shed, a one story 20' X 15' limestone, 2 bay structure that formerly manufactured flour barrels for the mill. The Cooper Shed, renovated in 1990, is now a Quilt/Craft store operated by Mrs. Mary Jane Perini.
The old miller's house/farmhouse now owned by Mr. & Mrs. Paul Bauer, who also own the smokehouse. The original four bay, two story stone structure dates back to about the 1740's, and the two bay, one story, addition on the rear, dates to Henry Newcomer in 1794.
A segmented French buhrstone rests against the right, front corner of the mill. Various other houses, barns and outbuildings comprise the full Doub's Mill complex.
A final parting shot of the old mill. Thanks to the generosity of Luigi L. Perini, the present owner, for his permission to use much of the mill's history he has compiled. Thank You Mr. Perini.