• Standard View


Causey's Mill
City of Newport News. | Virginia | USA | Early mill from 1683, this mill 1866
Township: n/a | Watersource: Walter's Creek.


Causey's Mill
Picture: Robert T. Kinsey 07/2009

A mill operated at this location beginning in 1683, was rebuilt many times and continued to grind grain by water power into the 20th century.

Causey's Mill
Picture: Robert T. Kinsey 07/2009

The current mill, built in 1866 by William Causey, is a small 2 story frame mill on brick & concrete foundation.

Causey's Mill
Picture: Robert T. Kinsey 07/2009

Inside there are bridge trees and bray posts for two run of stones: however, only one run was ever installed. The cast iron spindle, which lifted the runner stone above the stationary bed stone, is still in place. The building has the tongs for raising the runner stone.

Causey's Mill
Picture: Robert T. Kinsey 07/2009

Also inside is a 20' Leffel or Sampson turbine. The steel turbine shaft, composite drive gear, turbine shaft bearing, and turbine gate shaft bearing remain intact in the hurst frame. The spur gear is also intact.

Causey's Mill
Picture: Robert T. Kinsey 07/2009

As early as 1675, John Langhorne owned land along Walters Creek. The Langhorne family owned this land for five generations. In addition Longhorne's Mill operated on Walters Creek and ground grain for the local market. In 1815, William Langhorne sold to John Mallicote. The Mallicote family sold their land to John Gambol in 1845. Gambol died seven years later and the land remained with his descendents for a number of years. Langhorne's Mill ceased to operate before the Civil War.

Causey's Mill
Picture: Robert T. Kinsey 07/2009

By 1890, Collis P. Huntington purchased the land tract on which Causey's mill stood, along with other land tracts. In 1930, the Mariner's Museum was established, and the mill remained in the museum's hands until 2006, when the city of Newport News obtained a 55 year lease on the mill. The restored mill is now in Mariner's Museum Park.

The church's one foundation is Jesus Christ, her Lord. She is His new creation by water and the Word. "The Church's One Foundation" by Samuel J. Stone
(From the hymnal - Sing to the Lord)
Directions: From the juncton of J. Clyde Morris Drive and US 60 in the City of Newport News, go south on Warwick Blvd./US 60 about 200 yds. The mill will be on the left in a small park, just before crossing the bridge over Lake Maury.
 
Upload Pictures
I want to upload picture(s) at this time.