- Standard View
Old stone-stuccoed mill north on Mt. Carmel Road from the junc. with Glenrose Road. The mill site may have been developed by a man named Thomas Truman c.1775 when he built a grist mill here. He died in 1788 and left the property to his son, William Truman.
The mill had just burned several day to a week earlier than 06/11/2007. In 1791 taxes on the mill were paid by John Wentz. In 1808 the property was conveyed to George Passmore. He paid taxes on a house, grist mill, saw mill, and a cobbler shop.
There was a family that had been living in the mill at the time, they were reduced to tent camping just nearby. The smell of burned building and debris was almost overpowering. Around 1811, Passmore added a clover/cider mill, which is the mill that we refer to as the paper mill. In 1835 the property was purchased by James Newlin. Atlases of 1856 and 1873 both show Newlin as having a grist and saw mill.
This log cabin on stone 1st story is an old cobblers shop, historically important in the area of SW East Fallowfield Twp. The cobblers shop was the one built by George Passmore by 1808 or before.
Around 1811, Passmore added a clover/cider mill, which is the mill that burned in the first few photos in 2007. In 1835 the property was purchased by James Newlin. Atlases of 1856 and 1873 both show Newlin as having a grist and saw mill.
The atlases also show owning the property containing the Cobbler shop and cider mill, although neither is shown on the maps. Another site stated that Newlin owned a paper mill in 1860 that was originally the Truman grist mill. However when Newlin died in 1878, the area consisted of a grist mill, saw mill, clover and cider mill, mansion and 3 tenements. GPS: 39° 56.66' N 75° 51.57' W ele 449'/137 meters Coatesville Quadrangle