- Standard View
Large grist mill of 3.5 stories in height, 40'x60' in footprint built by John & Catherine Kauffman in 1813 on the Little Conestoga Cr. Succession of owners were as follows: Emmanial Kauffman , 1822; John Landis, 1828; perhaps Emmanial Reigart, 1840s/1850s; Jonathan Landis, 1864; J. & M. Landis, 1875; and John E. Landis, in 1899.
Abram Landis was the last operator and closed the mill in 1890 according to one source. The other source stated that the "Pike Grist Mill" was run by John Landis as late as 1899 and beyond. One over shot wheel powered the grindstones with water from a 1,500' headrace. The spent water exited the mill and rejoined the Conestoga Cr. after 50' tailrace journey. As with many old mills, it was used as a large chicken coop in 1969 and used for barn-type storage by 1992, when these shots were taken. Fair to good condition.
Location: (Franklin Metro Map #3067, D 11). Photo: **October 1992, Jim Miller**