- Standard View
George McCullough built an early stone mill here about 1743. Acquired in 1827 by Israel Penrose who sold it in turn to Joseph & Benjamin Penrose.
Other records have Israel Penrose taking over Julius Hubert's sickle mill in 1827 and in 1844, building a new 40'x50' frame, 3 story grist and sawmill.
Ben Penrose was owner in 1864 and again in 1875. Somewhere along the way, Jack Hess had to have owned the mill, hence the name. The final owner, Jacob McCrabb closed the mill in 1927.
In the time frame when it operated, it was a grist, flour saw, and corn meal mill. Production of flour was 8 barrels/day.
In October of 1992, some new repairs had been made, but it was only used for storage at that date.
GPS: 39? 49.12'N, 76? 14.72'W 387'/118 meters Wakefield QuadranglePhotos 1 & 3 werectaken by Jim Miller 09/1999 while photos 2 & 4-6 were taken by Robert T. Kinsey 09/22/2006.