• Standard View


Glass / Rinker / Cooper Mill
Frederick Co. | Virginia | USA | C.1812-1815
Township: Back Creek District. | Watersource: Opequon Creek.



Glass / Rinker / Cooper Mill
Picture: Robert T. Kinsey 04/28/2009

The Glass/Rinker/Cooper Mill, built in 1812-15, was the second mill built in Opequon. The headrace originally was on the west side of Cedar Creek Grade/Sh 622, and fed under the road;, but this was filled in the 1950's.

Glass / Rinker / Cooper Mill
Picture: Robert T. Kinsey 04/28/2009

The limestone walls start out at three feet thick at ground level and taper to half that on the gable ends. Check Section 7 of the Nomination form for placement of the mill in the National Register of Historic Places by clicking on the website button.

Glass / Rinker / Cooper Mill
Picture: Robert T. Kinsey 04/28/2009

A hurst (husk) frame, the massive framing holding the grinding stones, the wheel axle (shaft), wooden hub gears,, and two run of stones are intact on the first story.

Glass / Rinker / Cooper Mill
Picture: Robert T. Kinsey 04/28/2009

The wooden waterwheel was removed from the exterior; how-some-ever, care has been given to keep the integrity of the structure. The building is supported by 50' chestnut beams and chestnut planking.

Glass / Rinker / Cooper Mill
Picture: Robert T. Kinsey 04/28/2009

A stone hoist, dated 1838, also bears tally marks in chalk, keeping track of numbers of flour sacks produced at some time in its history. The church was built in 1939 to replace the original wooden Opequon Union Chapel built in 1848. The church is nearly across the road from the mill, on the northeast corner of Cedar Creek Grade & Miller Road at 107 Miller Road.

Glass / Rinker / Cooper Mill
Picture: Robert T. Kinsey 04/28/2009

The chimney at the roadside end of the mill, starts in the office, in the attached frame addition, vents the smoke and gases from the office, using several doglegs to circumvent window placement, resulting in a well drawing flume.

Glass / Rinker / Cooper Mill
Picture: Robert T. Kinsey 04/28/2009

Race Mills (The Glass/Rinker House) at 2463 Cedar Creek Grade, features a 1.5 story middle section (the mill part) built in about 1751. This, too, has been converted into a residencial dwelling. Both mills passed from the Glass family ownership in 1833. The Glass/Rinker/Cooper Mill and barrel factory operated up to somewhere near World War II.

"After everyone had eaten all they wanted, Jesus' discilels piucked up twelve large bashkets of leftover bread and fish."
(Mark 6:42 & 43 CEV)
Directions: From US 11 south of Winchester, go north on Va 37 to Cedar Creek Grade/Sh 622. As Cedar Creek Grade makes a 90 degree left turn in the villiage of Opequon, the mill will be on the left at Opequon Creek.
 
Upload Pictures
I want to upload picture(s) at this time.