- Standard View
An earlier mill was built by Abraham Stover in 1821. The present 2.5 story brick mill on a 1 story limestone foundation with brown sandstone quoins, was built in 1857 by Christian Stouffer.
The 50'X 58' mill was powered by an 18' internal overshot wheel, producing 25 horsepower, which has been in use since the late 1800's at the mill.
There were 3 runs of buhrs for wheat, to produce flour, and 2 runs/sets of buhrs for chopping, producing animal feeds.
The mill in its heyday had a capacity of about 12,000 barrels of flour per year. The present owner, Adrian Shank, got the mill into working order in time for the SPOOM convention in September, 2005. His grandfather, Wilmer O. Shank, bought the mill in 1935 from the Shockey family. Wilmer's son, Odell J. shank, continued the operation until 1973. Odell's widow, Yula, ran the mill up to 2000 after his death in 1973. Future plans are for the mill to be a "living history" exhibit, capable of operation, but only for demonstration purposes.
The mills overshot wheel was powered by two springs and Red Run/Falls Creek, a tributary to the East Branch Antietam Creek. The headrace/millpond enters under the front of the mill and exited out the back through a tailrace.