- Standard View
The grist mill was part of a complex consisting of a furnace, forge, coal houses, smith and carpenter shops, brick mansion houses, 30 log dwelling houses, grist and saw mill, etc.
It is unknown when the mill was built, but it was probably soon after the construction of the initial furnace & forge structures which were built in 1764.
The furnace was built on land deeded to Samuel Pope in 1762, 17 perches of land. This was conveyed to George Stevenson who probably built the first furnace.
Michael Ege purchased the Furnace and all its woodland at sale ordered by the Court on Nov.7, 1810. Michael and his brother George were brought up by their uncle Baron Henry William Steigle at Elizabeth Furnace, Lancaster County. Baron von Steigle was a great iron master and also the first manufacturer of glassware in America.
Michael's son Peter let the complex go into foreclosure in 1838, and the furnace complex was transfered to Frederick Watts & Charles B. Penrose for $52,500. Mr. watts became sole owner in 1843. In April 1864, all the Pine Grove property was incorporated as "South Mountain Iron Company", purchased by Geo.A. Watts, Geo.C. Thomas, James T. Gingham, and other from William Watts.
Charles Sheaffer was the miller at one time at the stone grist mill, knew his trade and was well-liked for his tales & stories. By August 1913, the stone grist mill had been renovated into entertainment and dining, and was well patronized during summer months. It is now the visitor/reception center for the Pnie Grove Furnace State Park.