- Standard View
This house, the Barton House, was built on the stone foundations of the 1730 Samuel Scott Mill. It is situated on the north side of Chickies Creek/Chiques Creek or Chickesalunga Creek, all different names for the same creek, across E. Main St./Chiques Road from the American Legion Post.(see last photo).
Samuel Scott's (Scot's)name is on the Rapho Twp. tax lists as the owner of grist & saw mills and a tavern along the Paxtan/Conestoga Road in 1759 & in 1770. Alexander Scott willed his nephew, Capt. Hugh Pedan 130 acres of land and stipulated that the new mill be built across the road, on the south side of the creek.
The Old Stone Flour Mill, West of Salunga, Pa. Photo donated by Ted Hazen 01/2012.
The new mill, built while the old Scott Mill was still operating in 1829, was built across the Chiques Creek from the Mt. Joy American Legion (then the structure was a frame stables for the Scott Tavern, later to be Pedan's Tavern, and the Scott Grist Mill. In other words, diagonal across the creek from the old mill (Barton House).
This photo from the Jan 29,2006 issue of the Lancaster Newspapers shows, prior to 1921, the Barton House(old Scott Mill), on the extreme right. The Scott/Pedan Tavern is to the right of center at the end of the bridge and the stables is on the left.
The old Scott Mill was owned by John Shenk(Shenck)in 1820, 1822 & 1824 and he also owned Shenck's Mill about 1.5 miles east of Scott's Mill at Old Auction Road at Shenck Rd. at the Chiques Creek where Shenck's Mill Covered Bridge still is located. The 60'X 80' stone mill of 3.5 stories was torn away in the early 1900's. The distance upstream on the creek is double that by the road.
The old mill(Barton House) & saw mill were sold by John Pedan, along with 194 acres and a dwelling in 1816. The photo shows the stone arched bridge having been replaced by a new bridge after 1921, and the road changed to go more to the left towards stables/replaced by the American Legion Post. This photo also from the Jan 29,2006 issue of the Lancaster Newspapers.
A view of Chiques Creek and the dam. The mill race for the Scott Mill/later Shenck Mill/Garber Mill came off upstream above the dam to the left of the old mill/Barton House. In 1842, the mills sold to Joseph & Fannie Hougendobler, Hougendobler being Shenck's miller in 1833. M. Grube owned them in 1855, A & M. Grube in 1864, and R. Garber & Son in 1875. Andrew Garber owned Salunga Mills in 1899.
The Samuel Scott Tavern/Pedan Tavern/later Washington Tavern was rebuilt as the Washington House, and is now the Honberger House. It is still across from the VFW building and to the slight left, closer to the road than the Barton House/Scott Mill/Garber Mill.40' 6.49N, 76' 26.64W 344'/105 meters Columbia East Quadrangle
The site of the former wooden stables for the tavern was rebuilt of stone and frame at an unknown date as the "Posey Patch", an tea-room house. After World War I, it became the Mt. Joy American Legion Post, commonly referred to as the "Liederkrantz".
*Updated photo of the Liederkrantz at Slunga. We, the Mt Joy American Legion, had closing in November for the purchase of the Honberger property. We own the property, but have left Dorice Honberger live in the house as long as she wants to, and is able. Photo by Robert L. Kilp, Financial Secretary of the Liederkrantz. 01/27/2012*
View Larger Map