- Standard View
The 45'X 55' stone/stucco mill is 4.5 stories in height. The mill was built in 1778-79 as the J. Bunn's Saw Mill, Grist Mill, Cider Mill & Distillery.
The inlet from the mill dam on the Mine Brook into the mill has been sealed over through the years since the mill has ceased operating, about 1918.
The mill dam and pond was made into a Victorian Park in the early 1900's after the mill and property had been purchased by the Linaberry family. Fishing was popular as well as boating and winter ice skating.
The mill dam as viewed from the south side of Mine Brook directly behind the old mill structure, which was converted into the Borough Hall of Bernardsville (Municipal Building) in 1963.
This stone structure, believably the old grainery for the mill, is currently part of the Municipal offices of Bernardsville, functioning as the Animal Control facility.
Another stone structure on the grounds is probably a former stables for horses of farmers bringing grain to be ground at the mill. Currently, apparently, being used as a vehicle maintenance garage for the borough.
Before 1840, the community of Bernardsville was known as Vealtown. This name was changed in 1840 to Bernardsville in honor of Colonial Governor Sir Francis Bernard.