- Standard View
Boiling Springs Grist Mill goes back to to 1785. The large 36'X 65', 4.5 story mill has been renovated into apartments, or condominiums.
Two opposite corners have red sandstone quoins. A new roof within the last five years should ensure a long future from the elements.
A three arch stone bridge, built in 1854, carries Race St. across Yellow Breeches Creek (called Callapatscink by the early native Americans). Callapatscink means "where the waters turn back again".
Boiling Springs Dam was rebuilt in 1950 for electric generation purposes. The Bucher Estate Dam, a rubble dam upstream on Callapatscink that feeds Children's Lake, was declared to be in disrepair and breached in 1998. Info needed on mill history.
The original blast furnace of the Carlisle Iron Works stands about 300-400 yds. east of the mill along a lake-outlet watercoarse that returns to to the Yellow Breeches Creek.
Part of the south end of Children's Lake, fed by Yellow Breeches Creek, and which in turn fed the mill. The outlet is to the left side of the mill in the picture.