- Standard View
The land for the mill was aquired in 1751, and the mill was built sometime between 1761 and 1768.
A large limestone mill measuring 45'X 60' and rising to a height of 4.5 stories.
The abreviated history of the mill.
The land was part of an original land grant to William Penn from English aristocracy. James A. Wilson, Esquire came by the land, built the mill and the mill operated it as "Wilson's Mill" until 1810.
The millstone outside of Mill Apartments front door. The mill was known as Henderson's Feed Mill from about 1810 until 1913, being operated by William Miller Henderson.
The mill was idle from 1913-1926, converted into apartments in 1926-1929 by Ralph Steele, purchased, along with the land, from Steele's heirs in 1959 by the U. S. Army, and became Mill Apartments in 1960. Possibly unused in 2007.
*Update: This photo was displayed on the wall in the miller's office in Heishman's Mill, Cumberland Co. It shows the rear of the mill, as the photo before does, but this also shows the flume/penstock delivering the water supply to the turbines. Ted R. Hazen 06/29/2010*